Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Virtual Brazilian Waterfall

Credits:
Photo: Cachoeira do Sossego, by Flickr user gjofili. This photo has a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

Sound: Small Waterfall in the Forest, by soundtransit user Derek Holster. This audio has a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 license.

I had sort of a hard time with this assignment, because I couldn't figure out to look at all the thousands of pictures with Creative Commons liscenses on flickr. But then, I found a flickr user I liked, who used the CC license, and searched his logs. I found the audio resources sort of overwhelming, and not particularly to my liking, until I found "Soundtransit" - which is RAD! I love the whole idea of field recordings... so I found a picture and a sound from the same national park in Brazil. The sound is called "small waterfall in the forest," so I did my best to find a licensed picture that matched. I love soundtransit, I"m gonna go play around there some more!

In the end, this was awesome though, because it really felt like homework - I had to read and look around, and found a cool new sound website. Thanks Lisa!

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see you move on to "Exercise 2". Great job, Amey! I'm also glad you found an audio website that you liked, and I love that you found the recording of the national park in the picture. Cool! Let's go there right now! ;-)

    To search for CC licensed photos on Flickr, go to their CC Portal: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/. Next, find the kind of license you are looking for (I recommend "attribution"), and then click "See More." This will open up a search window where you can enter various search terms. It's actually quite easy once you get to this page, and there are millions of options, literally!

    By the way, would you mind fielding some questions about this exercise if Laura or Sara need some help? I'm thinking they might need help figuring out how to download a picture and/or link to an audio file... Let me know what you have time for. Thanks!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I also recommend "Attribution+Non Commercial" Creative Commons licenses. Just stay away from "share alike" licenses whenever possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lis!
    Thanks for the details on searching by license. I'll go do it right now.

    I'm happy to field questions from Sara & Laura!

    Also, I liked the video about RSS feeds. I already use My Yahoo! as a home page, and I have a bunch of my favorite blogs, and one of my favorite NPR shows (Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me), and some news feeding into my page. I added the tweets and blog feed from your class too!

    ReplyDelete